This Low Carb Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake is not only Sugar-free but Grain-free, gluten-free and also scrumptiously soft, fluffy and creamy, filled with cocoa aroma. With only 2g of carbs, this perfect Keto Dessert choice is for different kinds of celebrations in family.
One big advantage it has, that this Low Carb Chocolate Roulade or swiss roll cake without flour can be made a day in advance. And this will take one headache less on the day, when you have to prepare the whole get together. Make it, place it into the fridge and on the day all you have to do is cut it and serve.
Keto Cheesecake Chocolate Sponge Cake
Since our Low Carb chocolate Swiss Roll filling consists of either quark, curd cheese, cream cheese, yogurt or a combination of all, with a first bite you will get the Cheesecake taste, you have been craving for.
Necessary Kitchen Appliances Needed
- Kitchen Maschine or a Hand Mixer
- Baking pan covered with parchment paper
- Hand Blender for the Keto filling
- Cling Film
Low Carb Swiss Roll
- Ground Almonds
- Baking Powder
- Xanthan Gum
- Sugar Substitute
- Cocoa Powder
Keto Swiss Roll Cake Filling
- Curd Cheese, Farmers Cheese, Quark or Cream Cheese
- Lemon Juice
- Sugar Substitute
First Step: Egg Whites
- First, heat up the oven so the Low Carb Swiss Roll Cake goes into already preheated oven.
- Beat the egg whites separately in a bowl, until fully stiff. Place it aside.
Second Step: Chocolate Sponge Cake
- First mix egg yolks with sugar substitute until creamy texture appears.
- Once eggs are fluffy, add all of the dry ingredients and mix fully. Make sure the cacao is fully mix and you are not left with tiny dry pieces inside the dough.
Third Step: Mix and Bake
- Once the dough is mixed, add a spoon of the Egg whites in and slowly mix it in. Keep adding slowly egg whites until all of them are used. The last part of egg whites mix slowly with your hands using a spatula. This will make the Keto Chocolate Swiss Roll fluffy and soft and very much like a sponge cake. Otherwise you will end up with a very dense base.
- Pour it onto the baking pan covered with parchment paper and place it into the oven for baking.
Fourth Step: Keto Cheesecake Filling
- In the meantime mix all of your Swiss Roll filling together and set aside.
Fifth Step: Assembly
- Once Low Carb Chocolate Swiss Roll is baked, take it out of the oven and let it cool. I always make sure, that a wet towel is placed underneath the parchment paper. This is a great trick, which will help you to peel the parchment paper from the cake once cooled.
- After the Sugar-Free Chocolate Swiss Roll has been cooled, slowly turn it upside down (as you see in the video) and gently peel the parchment paper.
- Once peeled, turn it again, so the peeled side would be outer and visible while rolling. I just like the way it looks from the peeled side. But it is really up to you which side you pick. Also if you are not happy with the Swiss Roll, you can always pour some keto chocolate ganache on top.
- With any sticks, or the end of the spatula, make holes throughout the whole cake. this will help your filling to soak into the cake even more.
- Spread the filling throughout the whole cake, leaving the end part dry.
Sixth Step: Roll and set
- Once all of the Chocolate Swiss Roll cake, Filling is spread, start gently rolling the whole Swiss Roll. You will see, that the end part you have left dry, will be covered as well and you might end up with some of the filling coming out. That is not a problem at all. Just clean it up.
- Once the Keto Roll Cake is fully assembled, take a cling film and roll it in. Make sure the cling film covers the whole almond Flour Swiss Roll. Twist the ends tight, which will help the sponge cake hold its shape.
- Gently place it into the fridge for approximately 8 hours, the best overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, take it out of the fridge, peel the Cling film off. You can simply sprinkle it with powdered sugar substitute you are using.
- If you wish to go even further, warm up and mix a low carb chocolate with a little bit of coconut oil to make a lovely Low Carb Ganache.
Rolling the cake
- If you feel, that your sponge cake is too thin and you are afraid of breaking it while rolling, you can roll it while still warm. This will retain its shape and once cooled, unroll, fill and roll again.
- While rolling this chocolate Swiss Roll, do not press tight too much. You might force press out most of the filling and will end up with a very thin low carb swiss roll cake.
Making powder sugar
- If you do not have a powdered sugar at home, then buy a normal sugar substitute and make your own powdered sugar every single time. It is the easiest thing you can do.
- For the glaze, warm up either a sugar-free chocolate or Cacao mixed with sweetener and add a bit of coconut oil.
- If you just warm it up and pour, you will get a thin shiny chocolate layer.
- If you let it cool a bit and mix it fully with a hand mixer, you will add a bit air in and make it fluffy. That could be then spread on top of the Swiss Roll and with the help of a fork decorated into the famous Keto Yule Log.
Peeling the parchment Paper from the low carb sponge cake
- Make sure a wet towel is placed underneath the parchment paper once the cake is baked and hot. This will help the parchment paper to get wet, which will help you to peel it easily from the cake once cooled.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR KETO SWISS ROLL CAKE
For this Keto cake, almost any sugar substitute will work. Use your preferred one without thinking about it any further. My most favorite brands are Sukrin, Swerve, and Lakanto.
In my recipe the filling consists of Quark. But if it is difficult for you to find one around, you can make your own very easily. You an also substitute the filling with curd cheese, cream cheese, Homemade Greek Yogurt, Homemade Farmers Cheese or Fromage Fraise.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
- 6 Eggs
- 60g (9 Tbsp) Ground almonds
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Tsp Xanthan gum
- 3 Tbsp Sukrin Plus (6 Tbsp Swerve or equivalent sweetener)
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa
- 500g Curd cheese or Farmers Cheese
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp Sukrin Plus (4 Tbsp Swerve or equivalent sweetener)
- Preheat the oven on 190 C
- Mix egg whites separately and place it aside
- Mix egg yolks with sugar.
- Mix all the grained almonds, baking powder and xantan gum together
- Once egg yolks are mixed, slowly add grained almonds mixture and cocoa
- Once all mixed, with a spatula add whipped egg whites and fold it gently
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes
- Once baked, take it out and place the parchment paper with the baked base on a wet towel. In that way it will be easier to separate the base from the parchment paper. Leave it for circa 5 minutes and then slowly start peeling the base from the parchment paper.
- Once all taken out, make holes all over the base
- For the filling, just place all the ingredients in the mixer and let it all mix properly
- Place the filling on top of the baked base and slowly roll it together
- Once all rolled, place the roll into a plastic wrap and firmly wrap it, so the Swiss Roll holds properly.
- Place it in the fridge for 8 hours, best overnight.
- Then Enjoy it!!!
Is this Keto Roll Cake gluten-free?
- Our Keto Swiss Roll Cake is not only fully Gluten-free, but as well Grain-free, Sugar-free and it still taste better as a normal chocolate Swiss Roll cake you have been used to from your childhood.
Is cocoa powder good in Keto lifestyle?
- If you purchase a pure, organic, raw cacao without any additional ingredients, it is fully within our lifestyle. It is also sugar-free and perfect as an addition to any keto chocolate desserts as well as making your own keto chocolates.
- Cocoa Powder on its own is very nutritious and has many positive effects on our health. It is made directly from cocoa beans and contains high percentage of fat.
Can I make chocolate swiss roll sponge cake in advance?
- Yes and you actually should. For the Chocolate Swiss Roll cake to get the perfect shape one needs to keep it in the fridge for few hours. At the same time, the chocolate Swiss Roll cake filling gets soaked a bit into the sponge cake and will taste the best when left to rest.
- Make it hours in advance. Make it a day in advance. I have even made it 2 days in advance. So definitely this is the sugar-free swiss roll recipe to be made in advance.
How to roll chocolate cheesecake?
- For the best instructions, I would suggest having a look at the video. It is the clearest for most of us when we see the steps visually. If you feel, that your sponge cake is too thin and you are afraid of breaking it while rolling, you can roll it while still warm. This will retain its shape and once cooled, unroll, fill and roll again.
- While rolling this chocolate Swiss Roll cake, do not press tight too much. You might force press out most of the filling and will end up with a very thin low carb Swiss Roll cake.
What to decorate this Sugar-free Chocolate Roll with?
As already mentioned above there are several options on what to decorate this Low Carb Chocolate Swiss Roll
- Chocolate Icing
- Chocolate glaze
- Powdered Sugar
- Sugar-Free Keto Sprinkles
- Frozen Berries
- Small brunches from Christmas tree
How to store Keto Chocolate Swiss Roll?
To store this Keto Chocolate Swiss Roll is pretty easy. Keep it int he fridge for maximum 4-5 days. The best way to store this chocolate Swiss Roll is in a cling film you have rolled it into. Also, keep it as whole and not pre-cut. Both of those tips will help to keep the moisture in.
Can Low Carb Swiss Roll be frozen?
It could, without a problem. The best to keep it again as a whole and in the Cling film. I would additionally place it into another sealed container, so the moisture around the cake does not form.
To enjoy further the Keto Lifestyle/Journey with us, it would be our privilege to serve the Keto Diet Lovers Family. we would be glad to FOLLOW us at Pinterest with a lot of activities where the Keto beginners are getting fruitful information about Keto/Low-carb recipes, Meal Plans and facilitating with Keto Guide from basics as well.