Time to share the most tasty low carb, grain-free lemon meringue pie. The lemon filling is both tart and sweet, and the meringue is crisp on the outside, tender in the middle. I truly believe these are the best sugar-free & low-carb lemon meringue pies I have ever made. These little deconstructed sugar-free & low carb lemon meringue pies are incredible.
Lemon meringue fillings are made with plenty of cornstarch to help them set properly and we know that isn’t a gonna fly for low carb. And meringue without sugar can be tricky, as it can either be overly hard and crunchy, or it can lack structure and deflate during baking. I wanted the filling to be slightly gooey but not liquid, so I decided to tackle that in two ways. First, with xanthan gum to help thicken it a little, and secondly, with a little gelatin to help it set properly. I was more worried about the meringue, thinking it might disintegrate when I tried to spread it over the warm filling. But it held up nicely and even better, it baked to that perfect soft crispness. It was crisp on the very outside but sweet and tender on the inside, and I think it was the mix of both granulated and powdered sweetener that helped.
Please note that try to wait until it is chilled upto 3 hours. Don’t do as I did and cut in too soon or the un-set lemon filling starts oozing out everywhere.
Low Carb Lemon Meringue Pie
- Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook Time: 50 mins | Chill Time: 3 hrs |Total Time: 4 hrs 15 mins
- Course: Dessert|Cuisine: Dessert
- Servings: 1 pie | Calories: 218 kcal
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch OR 2 tbsp oat fiber for THM
- 1 tbsp granulated Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp butter chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2-4 tbsp ice water
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp water divided
- 1 cup granulated Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp grass fed gelatin (can use 1 envelope Knox gelatin)
- 4 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup granulated Swerve Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, sweetener, xanthan gum and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Sprinkle surface with butter pieces and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With processor running on low, add ice water, one tablespoon at time until dough begins to clump together.
- Place a large piece of parchment on work surface and dust liberally with additional almond flour. Turn out dough and pat into a circle. Sprinkle with more almond flour and cover with another large piece of parchment.
- Roll out carefully into an 11-inch circle. Remove top layer of parchment. Place a 9-inch pie pan upside down on crust and then carefully flip both over so crust is lying in the pie pan. Remove parchment. (Alternatively, you can skip rolling out the pastry and simply press the crust into the bottom and up the sides of the pan).
- You may get some cracking and tears. Simply use small pieces of pastry from the overhang to patch them up. Crimp the edges of the crust and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake crust 12 minutes, then remove and let cool.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup of the water, sweetener, lemon zest and salt. Bring to just a boil, whisking frequently, until sweetener dissolves.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Slowly add about 1/2 cup of the water to the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Then gradually whisk the egg yolks back into the pan and lower the heat to low. Cook for 1 minute more, stirring continuously.
- Stir in lemon juice and butter and whisk until smooth. Sprinkle surface with xanthan gum and whisk vigorously to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining two tablespoons of water and the gelatin. Let sit 2 minutes until gelled, then stir into hot lemon mixture, whisking until well combined. Cover and set aside while making the meringue.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until frothy. With beaters going, slowly add sweeteners and vanilla extract and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Pour warm filling into crust. Dollop with meringue and spread right to the edges so that the meringue meets the crust. Swirl the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake 20 minutes or until meringue topping is golden and just barely firm to the touch. Remove and let pie cool 20 minutes, then refrigerate at least 3 hours to set.
To enjoy further the Keto Lifestyle/Journey with us, it would be our privilege to serve the Keto Diet Lovers Family. we would be glad to FOLLOW us at Pinterest with a lot of activities where the Keto beginners are getting fruitful information about Keto/Low-carb recipes, Meal Plans and facilitating with Keto Guide from basics as well.