Everyone Loves These Cheesy Taquitos! They’re Filled With Chicken, Cheese, and Are Great As Appetizers Or Even A Main Dish. Also known as flautas, these chicken taquitos are loved by the entire family.
These tasty and spicy-as-you-like-them Keto taquitos are just the thing for an easy lunch, especially if you’ve got just a bit of leftover cooked chicken in the fridge.
Have you guys ever tried Taquitos before? Instead of the typical folded over taco, taquitos are usually rolled but typically have some of the same ingredients as tacos – meat and cheese. We wanted to try a baked Keto taquitos version to eliminate all the oil in the original version and loved how it turned out!
I often roast whole, parted, chickens and though they are always a hit, certain parts are more popular with the fam-jam than others. I go for the wings – every time, while the legs and thighs are usually then next to go.
A great way to use up that dryish leftover chicken is to mix it up with a bit of hot sauce, some canned green chilis and a pat of butter. Then heat some shredded cheese into bubbly rounds on a baking sheet and roll the filling into the cheese.
For the Filling
- 1 Cup cooked chicken shredded
- 2 Tbsp Canned green chilies
- 3-4 Tbsp Franks, or other favourite hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
For the Shells
- 1 Cup Tex-Mex shredded cheese mix
- Preheat oven to 400° Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper
- Shred cooked chicken with your fingers or a fork. In a small frying or sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat, add chicken, chilies and hot sauce to taste. Mix gently.
- Meanwhile drop small piles of shredded cheese onto a parchment lined baking sheet. A few tablespoons should do it. You want enough to melt into 6 rounds that are about 4″ across each. Place baking sheet into the hot oven until cheese is bubbly and melted and beginning to just brown on the edges. Watch the cheese carefully as you don’t want it to burn.
- When cheese is done remove baking sheet from the oven and quickly divide the chicken into 6 portions, placing the chicken mixture down the center of each cheese shell. Roll up and let set for a few minutes to firm up.