Finding it hard to give up bread? This keto bread will make your life much easier, the best low carb bread on the internet made with almond flour.
Most keto bread recipes can taste very eggy or crumble easily. Amazingly, this bread has little to no eggy taste. Best of all, it actually holds together and works for sandwiches and toasties just like wheat bread.
LOW CARB BREAD BAKING TIPS
Please make sure your eggs are at room temperature before you attempt this recipe. This will reduce the likelihood of the bread tasting eggy. If you keep your eggs in the fridge, no worries. Just pop them into a bowl of hot tap water for 3 minutes.
BUTTER AND COCONUT OIL
- If your butter is already at room temperature, skip this step. If you keep your butter in the fridge, then this step is for you!
- Cut the butter up and place in a small saucepan over low heat. As soon as you see the butter begin to melt, take it off the heat and just let it sit. You don’t want the butter to be hot, because this might cook the eggs when you combine them.
- Add the coconut oil once the butter has melted. (Use refined coconut oil if you don’t like the taste of coconut). Once the butter and coconut oil are melted, slowly stream into the eggs while mixing on low.
WHICH BUTTER SHOULD YOU USE?
You can use anything, but grass-fed butter is the best. If you want to know more about the different types of butter, you can read my guide on butter for some clarification.
Mix the almond flour with the xanthan gum, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl until well combined. Little by little, add to the egg mixture until very thick.
- Set your fan forced oven to 180 C (355 F) and wait till it’s fully heated. If you have a convection oven, drop the temperature by 5 C (20 F). If you are using a glass loaf pan, also reduce the temperature. (Glass retains heat longer).
- Make sure to line your baking pan with baking paper if you are not using a silicone tray. Smooth out the top surface of the bread with a spatula or bowl scraper. This helps keep the bread together whilst in the oven.
- I always set my timer for 10 minutes less than the recipe’s time because all ovens are different. Once small cracks appear on the top and the bread turns a golden brown colour, test with a toothpick or bamboo skewer right into the centre of the bread. If it comes out clean, the bread is done. If not, you can bake an extra 10 minutes before checking it again.
Let the bread cool on a cooling rack so that all the sides cool equally. Cooling it on a bread rack will significantly reduce the eggy taste also. Sometimes if you let the bread sit on a normal bench top or chopping board, the bottom section of the bread will turn a different color.
Course: Breakfast, Lunch, Snack
Cuisine: Gluten Free, Low Carb / Keto, Paleo, Vegetarian
Keyword: keto bread, low carb bread
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time55 minutes
Servings: 20 Slices
- Loaf Tin
- 8.75 Large Eggs (50g / 1.7 oz each)
- 125 g Butter melted (100 g / 1/2 cup)
- 37.5 g Coconut Oil (30 g / 2 Tbsp)
- 250 g Almond Flour (200 g / 2 Cups)
- 1.25 teaspoon baking powder (5g / 0.2 oz)
- 0.63 teaspoon xanthan gum (2g)
- 0.63 teaspoon Salt (2g)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (355 F).
- Put the eggs in a bowl and beat on high for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the melted butter and coconut oil, and beat until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt, and beat until combined and thick.
- Scrape into an 8-inch X 4-inch (20 cm x 10 cm) loaf pan lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the middle clean.
- Slice into 16 thin slices and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days or up to 1 month in the freezer.
WHAT IS KETO BREAD?
Keto bread is a mixture of almond flour (or coconut flour), eggs, healthy fats and xanthan gum. It resembles normal wheat bread in texture but has about 20 times fewer carbs than regular bread.
HOW MANY SERVINGS ARE IN THIS LOAF?
For those who are confused about the serving size, the bread should make 16 slices, and the nutritional information is for 1 slice only. In simple terms, 1 slice = 1 serving. The whole loaf makes 16 servings total.
CAN THIS KETO BREAD BE MADE DAIRY FREE?
Yes, just add 1/2 cup olive oil instead of butter. This will give you a very similar result.
I DON’T HAVE XANTHAN GUM. WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD?
Xanthan gum is a binding agent that stops the bread from crumbling so it slices like traditional wheat bread. However, if you don’t have xanthan gum, you have a few options to replate it:
- Gelatine Powder – Use 1 teaspoon
- Guar Gum – Use 1 teaspoon
- Ground Chia Seeds – Use 1 Tablespoon
- Psyllium Husk Powder – Use 1 Tablespoon
- Omit Xanthan Gum – Still gets a good result.
IF I AM ALLERGIC TO ALMONDS, CAN I USE COCONUT FLOUR INSTEAD?
Instead of adding 2 cups of almond flour, add 1/2 cup of coconut flour. Despite the lower amount of coconut flour, the result will be very similar to using almond flour, as it is much more absorbable than almond flour.
HOW DO I STORE KETO BREAD?
I usually slice it up, then place the sliced pieces into 2 plastic containers. Keep 1 container in the fridge and 1 container in the freezer for next week.
HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN KETO BREAD?
This ketogenic bread recipe only has 1 g of net carbs. Net carbs are total carbs minus fibre.
HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN KETO BREAD?
Each bread slice contains 165 calories. This is higher than regular bread, but only because it contains a large amount of healthy butter and coconut oil.