This is an amazing loaf of bread. Smells and feels like a traditional loaf. Holds up just like one. Toasts well. Keeps for days. And tastes divine. What more could anyone want from a healthy loaf of bread? Perfect for keto, low carb, wheat free, gluten free, grain free. Not eggy, not soggy, not dry. Just perfect!
If you’re a carb eater looking for a healthier alternative to traditional bread loaves, this is for you too. Forget shop-bought stodgy bread that leaves you bloated.
White bread is just cheap, nasty and very unhealthy. You may already know that the wheat mill process isn’t like it used to be. Today’s wheat is stripped, bleached and highly processed. Then there’s chemicals, preservatives, flavourings, fillers and who knows what else. Not to mention the fact that the original ingredient – wheat – was very likely GM and sprayed with toxic herbicides. Why anyone would want to eat white bread is a mystery to me.
Brown bread looks like it’s better for you. But it’s just white bread in disguise. The only difference is some added colouring.
Wholemeal or wholegrain bread may sound like a good option, but don’t forget that manufacturers exploit loopholes all the time to cut corners and make the most profit out of cheap processes. So the term ‘whole’ may well conceal some cunning trickery.
Seed bread or multigrain breads are nothing more than white bread with added colouring and some seeds and nuts sprinkled in to qualify for the ‘healthy’ labelling.
There are some slightly better breads available, but seriously? Have you tried rye, wheat free, or gluten free breads? They taste absolutely awful and cost a fortune.
Ingredients needed to make this bread
Unless you count salt and baking powder. That will make it 6 ingredients in total. Whatever. The main 4 ingredients are: eggs, cream cheese, whey protein powder and psyllium husk powder. Psyllium husk is best known as a laxative. But fear not, as 1 slice of this loaf contains only 1.5g of psyllium. I regularly eat 4 slices and I can assure you that I experience no issues whatsoever. That said, everyone is different, so if you’re new to psyllium, stick to 1-2 slices at a time and see what happens.
Quick Bread Making Method
All you need is a hand whisk, a spoon, two bowls and a 20cm x 11cm loaf tin (17cm x 8cm at the base). Pile dry ingredients into one bowl and mix well, using a hand whisk. Don’t be lazy on this step, or you’ll risk ending up with a lumpy loaf. In my pathetic attempt to minimise washing up, I shoved everything in one bowl, without even sifting the baking powder. My loaf turned out with growths. Nice taste.
Weigh the cream cheese in the second bowl, then soften it using a hand whisk. Add whole eggs to the cream cheese, one at a time. Combine dry and wet ingredients. Pour into a lightly buttered loaf tin. Bake for about 35 minutes. Lightning fast.
This tasty & instant Low Carb Keto Protein Bread Loaf is light, dry, but spongy just like an ordinary sandwich bread loaf. Obviously, with no gluten and no yeast to bind fibers, this loaf won’t rise like traditional bread. Using the same size tin indicated in the recipe below, It will only rise to about 7-8 cm.
- 3 large eggs (approx 160g total weight)
- 120g full fat cream cheese
- 50g whey protein isolate
- 25g psyllium husk powder
- ⅛ tsp fine Himalayan pink salt
- 2 tsp baking powder (sifted)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- (optional) a sprinkle of coconut flour
- a little coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 140ºC fan (160ºC static).
- Pile dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk until well blended, with NO lumps.
- In a separate bowl, soften cream cheese using a hand whisk and add eggs one at a time, whisking in between each.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients, whisking again to amalgamate really well, and finally, incorporate the ACV.
- Let the mixture rest for a couple of minutes, until it thickens and becomes quite gooey (add a little more psyllium if too runny – it should stick to your spoon, rather than slide off it
- Smear a little coconut oil over the base and sides of a loaf tin (20cm x 11cm x 7cm height / 17cm x 8cm at the base), then pour the mixture and level it.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until brown on top and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool, then dust with coconut flour to mimic the farmhouse look (optional).
- It is imperative that you sift the baking powder and whisk the dry ingredients until no little lumps exist.
- Once the loaf is completely cool, you can transfer it to a sealed plastic container and it will keep for 3-4 days at room temperature.
- Re-heating isn’t necessary, as the loaf tastes and feels like ordinary sandwich bread, but toasting makes it exceptional.
- To avoid stodgy bread that has a purple tinge and smells odd, choose psyllium husk powder that is very fine and light in colour (sometimes called ‘blonde’ psyllium’. As psyllium is a natural, unadulterated product, batches can differ and give variable results.
Not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor as a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advice.