There is something so homely and nurturing about a cottage pie. A healthy thick layer of delicious, healthy and creamy caulimash topped with the Paleo favourite, crispy bacon!
- 500g good quality steak mincemeat
- 1/2 white onion – chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp mixed spice blend – I recommend Chimmichurri Rub
- 1/4 cup tomato puree – I recommend Bomba
- Caulimash – follow this to find the recipe
- 100g bacon pieces – fried
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- In a frying pan, fry the onion in the coconut oil or butter until soft and turning transparent.
- Add the mincemeat, breaking it up so as not to be in tight ball clusters.
- Add the spices and fry stirring regularly until it has changed to a brown colour.
- Add the tomato puree and mix well, allow to cook for about 10min on a medium heat.
- Transfer to an ovenproof baking dish.
- Top with caulimash .
- Top with fried bacon lardons.
- Bake for between 30-45min, until the juices start to expand and leak around the side of the mash.
Make a double portion and freeze one.
Not intended for the treatment or prevention of disease, nor as a substitute for medical treatment, nor as an alternative to medical advice.